Sandbox II

Hi folks! 

I have restarted the Sandbox world on the beta server (https://beta.airsim.world), the previous world was closed due to issues. As per usual, the sandbox world is designed for y'all to mess about with and do not offer any guarantee of availability or support. Worlds in beta may be reset or removed without warning. 

Sandbox II 

Hosted on beta server, not available in the 'My Airlines' page, click the Sandbox World link on the forum

Years: 2000-3000

Mode: Sandbox

Restrictions: Political restrictions, but any aircraft may be purchased

Speed: 7 days/ 20 minutes. 

Beta does presently have some unreleased features for the upcoming fuel update, though it does not have the latest database updates as I'm still working on balancing all of this out in a lower environment

Let me know if there are issues. 

Thanks! 

Should be fixed now @Aurora International LLC. Looks like it was over-batching. Interesting that this has never crashed the database before when I run the same code as a manual script but crashes within a task. Guess there is extra overhead? Not too sure, either way I have reduced the batch sizes and it seemed to have resolved the issue. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's resolved now. I am thrilled that I got to know about this world because the 2,000,000,000 starting money and instant delivery of 25 planes make it much easier to start making more money than in say Arcade I. I also noticed that unlike in Arcade I when you schedule flights, you don't need to wait and constantly reload the page to see the amount of passengers boarding the flight. Maybe this is because the world is pretty much empty, but it is great nonetheless. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Aurora International LLC said:

Yeah, it's resolved now. I am thrilled that I got to know about this world because the 2,000,000,000 starting money and instant delivery of 25 planes make it much easier to start making more money than in say Arcade I. I also noticed that unlike in Arcade I when you schedule flights, you don't need to wait and constantly reload the page to see the amount of passengers boarding the flight. Maybe this is because the world is pretty much empty, but it is great nonetheless. Thanks!

Yeah, the update demand task is pretty fast when there aren't a lot of flights but grows linearly as more flights are added. This is largely the consequence of the tech stack and partially how it's written (although I have changed some constants over the years, the demand model has largely not changed since the original release). The new model will use a new service optimized for speed as well as a graph based approach, this should hopefully both improve performance as well as allow us to re-enable connecting flights which had to be disabled as it put too much strain on the database.

I would caution against using this world as your 'primary' world however, I do not give any guarantees that it wouldn't be reset without warnings as it is still a development environment. It does get used for testing which may mess with the world and generally does not have any gating from deploying the latest build (I do have plans to migrate the pipeline to full CD/automatic deployments long term even for prod as I already utilize a lot of feature flagging to gate new features as well as allow for an easy on off switch if something goes wrong, but there is a reason why I haven't yet done this for prod which is that I don't believe I have quite the test infra in place for that yet). 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.